Way back when I made Trev this fish hat. Actually I miscounted when orienting the tail and it turned out to be a mammal.
He wore it for a while until the button eyes damaged the fabric and I decided not to repair it.
Last winter we saw a kid wearing a similar hat and Owen asked for his own version.
Instead using buttons I made crochet eyeballs so they can be sewn on at their edges and put less wear on the hat fabric. I didn’t put a lot of thought into the designs though I did put a row of fish hooks because I thought it would be a funny tattoo for a fish to have.
Trevor was in line next and at this point I was really keen to put an eye catching pattern.
I bought a pattern dictionary (which is a coffee table book with bunch of knitting drawings) and got these swirls out of it. I was super pleased with the look but the pattern made it difficult to shape the hat causing me to redo the original fish body shape into one with back and belly.
Though this turned out well, I was not brave enough to attempt it again and when Markus asked for his hat, I went back to stripe scheme.
Markus wanted red and green – his favourite colours. I don’t remember why he insisted on raindrops but I suppose water is the kind of thing that would stick to a fish. Getting those colours to not look like Christmas was the key feat of this hat.
Final hat in the series was for my sister. I redid this one several times trying to get the right drawing. At one point I even had a row of octopuses that looked like chaotic squiggles and almost invisible fish.